The Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) will offer a one-hour webinar entitled "Launching a Post-Grant Proceeding: In-house Perspective and Strategy" on December 1, 2016 from 2:00 to 3:00 pm (ET). Matthew Cutler, Harness of Dickey & Pierce PLC, David Kelley of Ford Global Technologies LLC, and Kimberly Schmitt of Intel Corp. will consider best practices for in-house counsel regarding the decision to launch an inter partes review (IPR) proceeding against a patent and managing the process of AIA petition and trial. Among the topics to be discussed will be:
• How to assess the strongest defensive case against the assertion of a patent and when not to launch an IPR;
• Finding guidance in PTAB statistics;
• The impact of the Halo and Commil decisions on the decision to launch;
• Hiring outside counsel and predicting costs;
• Overseeing the petition, the choice of expert, and the preparation for oral hearing;
• Whether to file an appeal if you lose.
The registration fee for the webinar is $135 (government and academic rates are available upon request). Those interested in registering for the webinar can do so here.